Environmental Science Chapter 1 pages 4-31
Chapter 1 Overview
This chapter presents an overview of environmental science and the history of humans in the environment. To solve environmental problems, we must be able to identify causes and describe solutions. The chapter also examines environmental science in a social and economical context.
Chapter Goals- Students will be able to explain:
Chapter 1 S.1 Understanding Our Environment
1. Define environmental science, and compare environmental science with ecology.
2. List the five major fields of study that contribute to environmental science.
3. Describe the major environmental effects of hunter-gatherers, the agricultural revolution, and the Industrial Revolution.
4. Distinguish between renewable and nonrenewable resources.
5. Classify environmental problems into three major categories.
Chapter 1 S.2 The Environment and Society
1. Describe “The Tragedy of the Commons”.
2. Explain the law of supply and demand.
3. List three differences between developing countries.
4. Explain what sustainability is, and describe why it is a goal of environmental science.
Law of supply and demand